Instructions for applying for a visa to Canada online
An online application for a visa to Canada is submitted through the website of the Government of Canada. Before proceeding to filling out the online questionnaire, you need to fill out three PDF questionnaires:
1. Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada.
2. Family Information Form.
3. Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada
To apply for a Canada visa online, you need to select the “Immigration” tab, and then “My application”:
On the page that opens, you need to go to the section for creating an applicant’s personal account – “Sign in or create an account”, and then “Continue to GCKey”. If visas are issued for a family, it is possible to create one account for the whole family. The remaining applicants create personal profiles.
To create an account, you need to click “Sign Up “.
If an account has already been created, for example, the applicant has previously submitted a Canada visa application online, then you do not need to create a new account, just enter the login and password from the account and click “Sign In”
After Signing In, we can start applying for a visa – “Apply to come to Canada “.
In the window that opens, you must specify the personal reference code (personal case number). To obtain it, you first need to select “Visitor visa, study and / or work permit “in the paragraph “I do not have a Personal Reference Code” (I do not have a personal case number) .
We proceed to a short questionnaire, after answering the questions of which the system will generate a list of documents that you need to provide in your particular case. The questionnaire consists of several blocks of questions.
Important Point: the questionnaire generates questions depending on the answers to them, so there may not be absolutely identical questions; Each applicant will have their own list of questions. We will try to consider an example of a mini-questionnaire that will be relevant for most applicants.
- What would you like to do in Canada?
- How long are you planning to stay in Canada? – Here you should choose “less than 6 months” because a different type of long-term visa is required for a longer stay and a strong justification)
- Code that matches the one on your passport? – Select the code that matches the code on your passport. (i.e., country of issue of the passport)
- Current country / territory of residence? – Current country/territory of residence?
- Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident? – (Not really)
- What is your date of Birth? “Your date of birth?”
- Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant?
- Are you a lawful permanent resident of the USA with a valid green card?
- Your marital status (Single, Married, etc.)
- What is your province of destination?
- What is the main purpose of visit?
After answering all the questions, you need to confirm the submission of the application.
The list of documents for a visa consists of three blocks.
- The first block is “ Application Form(s)
- The second block, ” Supporting Documents “,
- The third block ” Optional Documents “
After uploading all the documents, you need to pay the consular fee + fee for biometrics.
After passing the biometrics and in case of a positive decision, the applicant will receive a notification about the opportunity to bring his passport to the visa sticker. The letter must be printed out and handed over to the Visa Application Center together with the passports.