If there is suddenly green or black mold on the wall, the horror is great. The most important thing now is to act immediately and remove the mold – but by what means? We explain whether alcohol is enough to remove mold, when a chemical mold killer is necessary and what you should do with old mold.
If you discover mold on the wall or ceiling, act immediately and do not let the mold stain get bigger in the first place. We show you what is professional mold removal is and what you can do to prevent mold.
Remove mold – this is how it works
Is mold on the wall even a problem? Yes: mold spores should be eliminated. Since spores and the metabolic products of mold can be harmful to health, mold removers also pose risks for people, so nobody can decide on the mold control method for you.
1. In the event of a new infestation: remove mold with chemical mold removers, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide.
If the mold infestation is relatively new on the wall, superficial removal with anti-mold agents is usually sufficient. There are very fast-acting mold removers with chlorine active ingredients that destroy the spores in up to ten seconds. Although these chemical agents are highly effective, they are not recommended because of possible health hazards.
Alcohol-based cleaning agents and mold removers (80 percent ethanol – beware of vapors!) With these agents, the mold can usually be loosened and removed. And hydrogen peroxide (three to ten percent) is largely harmless against mold – or a five percent soda solution from the pharmacy.
However, if you cannot prevent the progressive formation of moisture at first, it makes more sense to use a chemical mold remover (follow the instructions for use carefully!). Otherwise, you will expose yourself to the progressive multiplication of harmful fungal spores.
2. for old mold growth: renovation by professionals
If the infestation is older, the mold has usually already penetrated paint, wallpaper, and, more rarely, the existing plaster structure. Then superficial treatment of the mold on the wall is no longer a permanent remedy. A professional mold removal must be called in to carry out the measures. The infected materials must be removed.
3. after mold removal or renovation
Removing the mold alone is not enough. The cause of the mold formation must be identified and remedied; otherwise, the game will start over. Common causes of mold in the apartment and on the wall are: poor sealing of the walls, increased moisture production in the interior (e.g., from plants, drying laundry, or shower moisture), incorrect ventilation, or insufficient heating.
Tips and warnings to avoid mold
- For the renewal of the mold-infected areas, you should use inorganic materials if moisture is expected again. These include lime plaster, lime-mineral paints (silicate interior paint), which are usually a little more expensive than the usual binder paint but are more vapor-permeable and inorganic.
- If possible, do not stick wallpaper to the critical wall areas, as these usually create a new breeding ground for mold spores. In the case of some types of mold, connections to lung diseases and allergy diseases are suspected since the spores can get onto the skin and into the respiratory tract via air.